Become a HopeWest Volunteer
The votes are in!
Thank you to our communities for voting us “Best of…” in 2020.
Best of the West
1st Place, Best Volunteer Group
Beacon Best Awards
Best Place to Volunteer, Mesa County
HEIRLOOMS FOR HOSPICE
Beacon Best Awards
Best Place to Volunteer, Delta
Whatever your interests and schedule, we’ll find the right fit for you. Explore the many volunteer opportunities at HopeWest.
Patient & Family Support
Volunteers visit in patients’ homes, nursing homes, and assisted living facilities, as well as the Hospice Care Center in Grand Junction.
Example of Activities:
- Respite care
- Transportation and shopping
- Meal Preparation
- Reading and letter writing
- Recording life stories
- Light housekeeping
- Yard work and gardening
- Playing music
- Supporting veterans
Heirlooms for Hospice
HopeWest has three Heirlooms stores: Grand Junction, Delta and Montrose. Volunteers are the primary personnel for these stores.
Volunteers are needed for:
- Greeting customers
- Helping Shoppers
- Sorting Items
- Display & Merchandising
- Repurposing items
Characteristics of Heirlooms Volunteers:
- Love to shop
- Love to decorate
- Creative and crafty
- Love working with people
- Physically able to be on their feet for 2-4 hour shifts
HopeWest Kids Volunteers
HopeWest Kids Volunteers have a variety of ways to help. Some are periodic assignments and some more routine. They involve working with kids of different ages and circumstances.
- Volunteering as a camp buddy for a weekend or day camp
- Volunteering with the equine therapy program
- Helping support kid activities by organizing supplies or supporting the logistics of their many programs
Characteristics of HopeWest Kids Volunteers:
- Love children and have lots of energy
- Experience working with children (retired teachers and counselors)
- Ability to be flexible and go with the flow
Vigil Care Program
The HopeWest Volunteer Vigil Care Program was created to comfort and support hospice patients who are in their final hours of life and have no family or friends present. Vigil care volunteers are highly-trained patient care volunteers who provide a reassuring presence at the bedside to dying patients.
We are dedicated to making every minute of life as comfortable as possible and ensuring that no one has to die alone. Our goal is to provide vigil volunteers 24-hours a day, seven days a week to sit with patients who are dying.
Teen Volunteer Opportunies
HopeWest teen volunteers have a variety of ways to help. Teens must be at least 13 years old.
- Special events
- Administration and office
- Beauty Queens
- Life Story (must be 16 years old)
- Assist with Equine program
- Help with Itty Bitty Day Camp and Camp Good Grief
- Babysitting during grief group meetings
- Playing piano at Care Center
Grand Junction – if you love flowers and gardening, Tanglewood is for you! Talented volunteers beautify the campus in so many ways. They plan and plant gardens, decorate for holidays, and arrange donated flowers to beautify the Care Center.
In addition, volunteers merchandise the Artful Cup and Spoons by creating unique displays.
Characteristics of Tanglewood Volunteers:
- Love flowers and gardening
- Physically able to perform work in the gardens
- Enjoy floral arrangement
Volunteers who support patients and families through their professional services, including:
- Hairstyling and barber services
- Massage Therapy
- Public Notary
- Certified Therapy Dogs
- Music Therapy
Special Project Volunteers
Special Project Volunteers are used for periodic assignments. We have two memorial services each year. Volunteers assist with the set-up, program, serve as greeters, and provide refreshments.
Cakes are baked for patients’ birthdays and anniversaries. Memory bears and pillows are sewed from garments of loved ones for family members. Baked and cooked foods are needed for volunteer trainings, memorial services, support groups and lunches during the Gala set-up.
Characteristics of Special Project Volunteers:
- Prefer flexible work
- Able to sew
- Physically capable of assisting with set up of events
- Like to bake and cook
Administrative & Office Support
There are a number of opportunities for office and administrative volunteers, including:
- Being a receptionist
- Data entry
- Preparing mailings
- Answering the phone
Characteristics of Administrative Volunteers:
- Typing, filing, or computer skills
- Enjoy office duties
- Love to greet visitors and make them feel welcome
Special Event Volunteers
HopeWest has a number of special events. We have 5 annual galas – one in each office and a fashion show supporting HopeWest Kids. In addition, Montrose has an annual golf tournament.
Volunteers are needed for creation of props and decorations, as well as event set up and manning of various duties at the event. If you are creative or enjoy a party, you will love being a part of this dedicated group.
Characteristics of Special Event Volunteers:
- Physically able to move supplies and props
- Enjoy being part of the event logistics
Ferris Hospice Care Center
Administrative Volunteers work at the reception desk. Patient support volunteers work with the care team to help respond to call lights, deliver patients’ meals, stock supplies, laundry collection /storage, visit with patients and families, and walk patients’ visiting pets.
Hands-on volunteers are specifically trained to assist staff with patients that have greater needs and require two-person assistance with walking, bathing or toileting
Characteristics of HopeWest Ferris Care Center volunteers:
- Friendly and welcoming personality
- Love to make patients and families feel comfortable
- Enjoy visiting with patients and providing support to families
Bereavement Volunteers receive additional training to be of support to our families grieving the death of a loved one.
Bereavement volunteers are needed to:
- Make supportive phone calls to bereaved
- Assist with grief groups
- Provide one-on-one support
Characteristics of Bereavement Volunteers:
- People who have navigated a significant loss in their own lives and can share their strength with others
- Have social work or counseling experience
- Love to listen and provide support to others