Christy Borchard, President and CEO, is a master’s-prepared Registered Nurse who began her career as a hospice nurse 40 years ago and who has served as a non profit hospice organization CEO for the past 28 years at Capital Caring and HopeWest. Prior to those positions she served as the founder of an all volunteer hospice in 1979, hospital based hospice and home health agency and as the VP of Patient Care Services of a hospital. She served more than 12 years on the Board of the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization. She founded and serves on the executive committee of the Board of National Hospice Partnership for Innovation and is the CEO liaison to the Innovation Lab of the group.
She authored the first American Nurses Association Hospice Nursing Standards and has written chapters for the Veterans Administration hospice manual. She also authored the first edition of the Hospice Services Guidelines for the National Hospice Organization. She served as a member of the Joint Commission PTAC on hospice and also on the Standards and Regulatory/Policy committees of the National Hospice Organization more than 20 years.
As part of her commitment to the VA system she provided education and consultation across 5 regions of the system in collaboration with Tom Hoyer, a CMS senior executive responsible for hospice and other post-acute payment regulations. She served as a congressional intern in the office of Congressman Willis Gradison.
Christy has served on numerous hospice and health related Boards, including most recently the Caring for Colorado Foundation, the Western Healthcare Alliance, and was appointed to the National Rural Advisory Committee on Rural Health and Human Services advising the Secretary on healthcare challenges in rural America.
She has been committed to the expansion of hospice and palliative care internationally through work on a grief model with leaders from Taiwan and Singapore with the International Work Group on Death, Dying and Bereavement, and served on the board of the Foundation for Hospices in Sub-Saharan Africa. She has traveled and provided consultations on hospice in Africa, the U.K. and Norway.
Christy has been the recipient of numerous awards recognizing her achievements, including:
- Rocky Mountain Health Plans “Bruce Wilson Award” for community collaboration.
- Creative Visionary Award by the Grand Junction Chamber of Commerce
- Outstanding Alumna for the University of Colorado School of Nursing
- Grand Junction Rotary Service Above Self Award
- Colorado Women’s Foundation Woman of the Year
- Statewide Colorado Nurses Foundation Nightingale Award
- Girl Scouts of American “Woman of Distinction” Award
- 90 Nurses in the State of Colorado recognized for contributions to the profession on the 90th Anniversary of the Colorado Nurses Association.
- Colorado Nurses Association District Nurse of the Year for Achievement in Direct Client Care
- Sigma Theta Tau (International Honors Society for Nursing)
Christy is also a sought-after educator and speaker on the topics of leadership, standards of practice and other topics related to organizational development.